Tributes paid after road deaths

There was shock and sadness in the city last week when two man lost their lives in two separate road crashes.

Wednesday, 7th April 2021, 11:13 am
David Gerard Edwards - PSNI image

On Wednesday March 31 a man in his 20s was killed in a crash on the M1 close to the Moira slipway.

Wallace High School paid tribute to the former pupil who was the driver of one of three vehicles involved in the crash which occurred on the westbound carriageway close to the Moira off slip at around 4.45am.

Out of respect for the wishes of the family, the Star has decided not to name the man.

In their tribute on their Facebook page, Wallace High School said: “As a school family we are heart-broken at the sudden death of our former pupil in a traffic accident. He was a true Wallace man, being the son of a former pupil, but also characterised by an openness of heart and generosity of spirit.

Practical and resourceful he was always eager to do what he believed to be right and that expressed itself in concrete actions. To his parents and siblings we express our deepest sympathy in this traumatic time of sorrow.”

The police have appealed for anyone with information about the crash to contact them.

The PSNI spokesperson added “Police investigating the circumstances of the collision would like to hear from witnesses and anyone who may have captured dash-cam footage.

“Please call 101, quoting reference 207 31/03/21.”

On Saturday afternoon, April 3 another local man lost his life in a road accident on Lany Road near Moira.

David Gerard Edwards was riding a Ducati motorbike when he was involved in a collision with a JCB telehandler in the Moira area on Saturday.

The incident occurred on the Lany Road around 3.20pm.

The 60-year-old, from the Aghalee area, is said to have been pronounced dead at the scene.

On a social media message, Derriaghy Cricket Club said everyone at the club was saddened to hear the news of the collision.

“Davy served the club for over 40 years as player, 4th XI captain, youth coach, as well representing the club for a time on the NCU Management Committee.

“Our sincerest condolences are with his family circle,” the message said.

A third accident occured at the A1 carriageway near Hillsborough on Monday April 5, however thankfully no one was killed or injured in this incident.

The road was closed last night just south of the Hillsborough Road roundabout to facilitate the removal of an accident damaged crash barrier on a flyover road.

In a statement issued shortly after 8pm on Monday, police said: “The PSNI are in the process of closing the A1 in both direction just south of the Hillsborough Road Roundabout.

“A single vehicle RTC on the Culcavy Road overbridge has resulted in safety barrier overhanging the main A1 carriageway from the bridge and will need recovering.”

Speaking after the accident, Councillor John Palmer said: “Thankfully there were no serious injuries.

“I have requested that the Department of Infrastructure review Crash restraints on Bridges. Normally Culcavey Road would be very busy, thankfully with a reduction of traffic a more serious incident didn’t happen.’’