St Joseph’s through to semi final in Antrim championship

St.Joseph’s Glenavy 1.12 St.Ergnat’s Moneyglass 1.09

This was the third meeting for these two clubs this season and with a victory each a close game was expected in the Antrim Intermediate Championship.

Niall Boyd opened the scoring for the Moneyglass side. The Glenavy side had their first attack Niall McCann was fouled and keeper Fergal Green came up to split the posts. Ciaran Loney took a pass from Michael McCourt to split the posts and put his side in the lead which they never lost.

Michael McCourt got on the score sheet quickly followed by a Niall McCann point to put three between the sides.

Moneyglass got a free which Colm Duffin pointed. Ryan Duffin fired over a beauty to put the minimum between the sides.

Colm Duffin brought the sides level with a well taken point to leave the halftime score 4 apiece.

Malachy McCourt took a pass from Michael Johnston to open the scoring in the secondhalf. Colm Duffin brought the sides level with a lovely point from far out on the wing. Owen Gallagher taking a pass out near the sideline split the posts. Charles Gallagher caught the kickout and passed to his brother Owen who put his side two up. Oisin Hamill broke up a Moneyglass attack carried the ball forward and got the ball to Charles Gallagher who laid it off to the inrushing Ciaran Loney who gave the keeper no chance as he blasted to the net.

To their credit the Toome side responded with a Tiernan Duffin point. Niall McCann with two and a Charles Gallagher point put seven between the sides. Patrick Gallagher burst through the St.Ergnat’s defence only to be pulled down in the large square for a penalty. Up stepped Michael McCourt to take the resultant kick only to see his well struck shot rise over the bar. From the kickout Michael gained possession and put his side nine points in front.

Moneyglass came back to score 1.03 without reply. With time running out Colm Duffin closed the gap to three which proved to be the last kick of the ball as referee Danny O’Neill blew fulltime to what was a very entertaining game. St.Joseph’s now play St.Mary’s Rasharkin in the semifinal.