Seconds lose out away to Kilkeel

editorial image

Kilkeel Seconds 2

South Antrim Seconds 1

South Antrim 2nds, buoyed by a recent string of good results, made the journey across the mountains to play Kilkeel 2nds, a team looming a few points below in Junior 1.

South always knew that this game would be a close encounter, after a narrow 3-2 win at home earlier in the season.

This apprehension was compounded further by a somewhat weakened team, meaning that captain Glass had to call upon the services of a number of players from the thirds.

The game did not start well for South, who were struggling to get the ball out of their own half.

After managing to weather most of the early pressure, much of this due to Ian Glass in goals, it was Kilkeel who scored the first goal.

A lapse in concentration from the South left back allowed the right wing to steal the ball on the by line and find a square pass to the onrushing forward, who slotted the ball into the net.

As is often the way, this goal seemed to spark a reaction from the Lisburn men, who began to show some of the smooth, short passing that has been characteristic of recent weeks.

Despite this at half time the score remained 1-0.

The second half began in much the same way that the first half ended, with South beginning to turn the screw in midfield, with the industrious Mark Conn aided by the marauding Peter Davis who made several forceful runs from centre back.

After a spell of end-to-end hockey, Kilkeel doubled their lead. A melee in the South Antrim circle, combined with a failure to clear their own lines allowed a forward to sneak the ball past Glass.

Chances came and went for South, with good link-up play down both the left and right flanks, and with around ten minutes left on the clock they were rewarded.

After some great midfield play, the ball found itself at the end of the stick of George Glass, who had the relatively simple task of sending it home.

Kilkeel were rocked, and with only seconds left on the clock their home fans must have had their hearts in their mouths. South looked for one last counter attack, and came forward with great numbers.

All hope was lost though, when the ball, which was played to Neil Wilson on the right, made use of a strategically placed bump in the turf, and rolled over his stick to go out of play.

Captain Glass always knew this would have been a tough game for the 2nds, but can be pleased with a decent away performance from an unfamiliar team. Many thanks must also go to William Redpath who stepped in to umpire the game as well.