Lisburn Seconds lose to Randalstown despite dominating possession

editorial image

At a wet and windy Randalstown Lisburn second XV lost 21-17 to Randalstown Seconds despite dominating much of the possession in this Junior League fixture.

They got off to a great start when their strong scrum drove the home team over the line from five metres out and number eight Scott Colligan got the simple touchdown. Outhalf Ian McCaugherty converted to give Lisburn a well deserved seven point lead with just ten minutes gone.

Lisburn were having difficulty in dealing with the wet and slippery ball and five minutes later Randalstown were back on terms after the Lisburn pack allowed the ball to shoot out uncontrolled from the back row of a scrum on the 22 metre line and Randalstown were up fast to get a so simple touchdown.

Worse was to follow when a rather innocuous kick ahead by the Randalstown backs was not kicked into touch and the fast follow up runners gained possession to score.

A great conversion from the touchline put Randalstown 14-7 ahead and Lisburn were left to rue two simple mistakes which in effect eventually cost them the game.

Just before half time things got worse for the visitors when a straight burst by the Randalstown centre through a hesitant Lisburn defence opened the way for another try which was was then converted.

Lisburn came back with an injury time penalty from McCaugherty to make the interval score 21-10.

At the start of the second period inside centre Ross Reaney cut through the home defence and brought the ball up to the line before being grounded.

Alas the support was unable to take advantage and the opportunity went a begging. At this stage also the third of three penalties were missed and while the Lisburn scrum was still dominant, their line out work had badly deteriorated.

Now spending most of their time in their opponents half, Lisburn pressed hard to narrow the gap and were rewarded ten minutes from time when subs Stephen Knowles at number eight and Simon Reid at scrumhalf combined perfectly to break the defence.

Ian McCaugherty, who had earlier missed three easier kicks, converted excellently from near the touchline to make it 21-17. The final ten minutes were hectic as Lisburn tried to rescue the game but Randalstown held out for a rather fortuitous win built on the earlier Lisburn errors.

Next Saturday the Lisburn 1st XV are back in action against Academy away while the 3rd XV play Inishowen at home. The next game for the 2nd XV is against Cooke 2s away next Wednesday evening KO 7.30pm.