Lisburn lose to league leaders

Lisburn drive forward at the Carrick rearguard.
Lisburn drive forward at the Carrick rearguard.

Second bottom Lisburn dropped more vital points away to league leaders Carrick last Saturday.

With nine changes to the team that nearly conquered them at Lisburn last November, the visitors were very much understrength because of injuries and the loss of their Captain and talisman front rower Tom Frazer in the pre-match warm up did not help.

Perhaps the 25-6 defeat, then, wasn’t entriely surprising.

Nevertheless, the re-organised Lisburn team played well for most of the game and at half time a scoreline of 6-6 was a fair reflection of the balance of play.

Andrew Gilmore in particular played a splendid game at outhalf and kicked the two penalties for Lisburn.

The match was played on an extremely heavy pitch with lots of surface water to contend with and in the early exchanges, it was Carrick who came out of the traps the quickest and their pressure produced a two penalty lead.

Once Lisburn broke the stranglehold and moved up field, they were rewarded with two similar efforts to equalise the interval scoreline.

The second period started poorly for Lisburn and on ten minutes they yielded a seven pointer to Carrick following a missed tackle.

Worse was to follow two minutes later when an over throw of their own line-out gifted a Carrick forward simple possession and he dashed through to the line untouched to open up an 18-6 lead.

Lisburn tried hard to reclaim their impetus but the ground conditions were against them, despite the backs looking very dangerous when they got the ball in hand.

Andrew Gilmore played a stormer at outhalf and will be one to watch in this position in the future. He had an excellent service from scrumhalf Peter Weir.

Andrew Cardosi also played well at full-back and was safe under the high ball.

The combative back row of Edgar, O’Brien and Coffey gave their all while the front five of Aaron Gilkinson, Thompson, Jefferson, Johnston and Weir played their hearts out to stem the Carrick tide.

On the final whistle though Carrick broke through again for another seven points to make the final scoreline 25-6.

The busiest person in the club this week was physiotherapist, who had to try hard to get some of the ten injured players back onto the pitch for the next game, a home fixture with Academy tomorrow (Saturday) Saturday.

Meanwhile, the Second XV won 17-10 last week against visitors Donegal while the Thirds went out of the Forster Plate to CIYMS Threes.

On Saturday, the Seconds have a free date as their scheduled opposition Portadown Twos have a rearranged cup game. The Thirds are also free.