Lisburn beaten by Rockmount in the first leg of the Ulster Fourball final

Lisburn winners at the Ulster Fourball final, Michael Rooney and Trevor Doak.
Lisburn winners at the Ulster Fourball final, Michael Rooney and Trevor Doak.

The first leg of the Ulster Fourball final was held at Rockmount on Sunday. The local team won three matches. Lisburn won one and due to the onset of darkness the final match could not be completed.

In the top match Mark Jamieson and Jason Smylie were all square after twelve but lost the next four to go down by 4 and 2.

Playing with Chris Davis, Alan Crowe hit a magnificent tee shot at the ninth to win the hole and square the match. They lost on the last green.

Trevor Doak and Michael Rooney were all square after 16 and proceeded to win the last two holes for victory.

Rockmount’s David Neeson holed a chip for a birdie three at the 13th to defeat Barry Cathcart and Glenn Cruickshanks.

Philip Stewart and Barry McQuillan had a tight match which swung one way and then the other. Barry holed a great putt on the 14th to square the match. In the darkness he holed another long putt on the 16th to win the hole and go one up.

They lost the 17th to go all square and will have to return to complete the final hole.

Lisburn did not fare much better in the first leg of the final of the Sam Rutherford competition at Killymoon. In the top match Simon Ingram and Ian Suffern finished four down.

Brian Houston and Gary Campbell did well to win two up. Randal Kernaghan and Andy Parr were not at their best and lost by 8 holes.

David Armstrong and Mark Jamison lost the final match by 4 holes. Lisburn’s team captain Des Kerr may make changes to his team to overcome the 14 holes deficit for the return leg on 27th.

Autumn Stableford

Lisburn members were looking forward to hosting the Bradbury Cup competition against teams from Balmoral, Dunmurry and Malone.

Due to the very heavy rainfall on Friday night the Bradbury Cup was postponed but the Autumn Stableford competition went ahead.

Michael Robinson (10) and Chris Moulds (1) led the field on 40 points. Michael started with three bogeys but reached the turn in 40 for 19 points. Chris reached the turn in 35 and started the back nine with three birdies.

After dropping a stroke at 13 he had an eagle three at 14. He dropped strokes at 15 and 17 for a back nine of 34 and a round of 69. Michael finished with a birdie three at 15 followed by three fours to win on count back over the last six holes.

Five competitors finished on 39: Peter Robinson (13), Matt Lyness (4), Matthew Hutchinson (8), Norman McNellis (4) and Srikandan Kamalarajah (17). Srikandan was awarded third place after scoring 22 points on the back nine.

Ryan Symington (+1) won the gross prize with a round of 71.

Three cups are decided by the best scores during the season. Gary Brett leads in the Mooney Cup from Chris Moulds. The latter leads the way in the Eddie Press trophy while there will be a close finish to the Wednesday Cup.

Neil Larmour, Andy Parr, Richard Leathem, Ryan Chambers and Richard McDermott are separated by just six strokes.