Honours even as 4ths and 5ths take on Downpatrick and Antrim squads

editorial image

South Antrim 4ths took on Downpatrick 1sts in their fourth game in the league cup. Downpatrick team started strongly scoring within the first minutes of the game from a short corner. South however reclaimed moments later, a goal off the stick of Archie Collins, to bring south back into the game. Downpatrick’s well worked short corners allowed them to score second but they were pegged back again by a resilient South side.

A one handed diving reverse from Hamilton Jnr levelled the scores at 2-2. Continued strong short corners from Downpatrick meant they went 4-2 up in the second half, but South refused to roll over yet. A superb solo run from Jonny Taylor, who ended up scoring while dribbling away from goal with a backwards shot, made it 4-3 with 8 minutes remaining.

Downpatrick attempted a reply with two successive shorts, however, now aware to their tactics, the defence prevented another goal. It was a South short that made all the difference in the end, and in the final minutes a switch to Alan Smith and a first time hit sent the ball into the back of the net via a deflection from the keeper. This made it 4-4 and gained South another well earned point and they remain undefeated in four.

Just over the fence at Friends school, the 5ths started their cup match against Antrim strongly. Good midfield play created plenty of chances for the South forwards but they failed to capitalise.

However, 15 minutes in, Adam Glass dribbled the ball to the top of the circle and roofed a reverse hit. South continued to press and Simon Taggart, in his debut match, worked a nice one two with Glass, receiving the ball in the circle and slipped the ball past the advancing Antrim keeper. This woke up the Antrim team who started to press forward. A defensive error let an Antrim winger into the circle, who slid in a pass past the stranded keeper for a tap in.

The second half was a fairly equal encounter with both teams attacking. However, a schoolboy error of not playing until the whistle went led to an equalizer for Antrim. The South players stopped when they thought they had won a free in their own 25, and let the Antrim forwards dribble through for the goal. South pressed hard for the winner bit couldn’t find the net with the game ending 2-2.