Heavy defeat for Lisburn CC


Lisburn’s run of Premier League victories came to an end in Wallace Park last Sunday when they were heavily defeated by CIYMS.

The winning margin was 56 runs but Lisburn never really threatened the CIYMS score even with good contributions form Cody Chetty, Steve Lazars and Nathan Waller.

CIYMS batted first on a bright morning and Dougherty and Matchett added 57 for the first wicket. With the dismissal of Dougherty, ex South African test player Justin Kemp came to the wicket and his superb 114 not out was the innings to seal the game for the visitors.

He struck 8 boundaries and four massive sixes during his 106 ball innings. With Johnny Thompson who scored a very quick 74 off just 59 balls, they added 157 runs in only 21 overs as CIYMS, finally reached the imposing score of 288 for 5 at the end of 50 overs.

Lisburn’s best bowler on the day was Nathan Waller with 3 for 24 off his 8 overs. Callum Atkinson took 1 for 61 off his ten overs and Richard McConkey had 1 for 47 off his allotment of 8 overs.

The Lisburn innings needed a quick start but again Robert Rankin could not contribute being bowled for 7 and Rickie Simpson followed soon afterwards with 8. The in-form captain, Adam Berry could not continue his great run and was third out for 7 leaving Lisburn in deep trouble on 25 for 3.

Cody Chetty, the Lisburn pro, was prepared to ‘tough it out’ and with Steve Lazars they added 61 for the 4th wicket but the pair were always well behind the required run rate of almost 6 runs per over.

When Lazars was out in the 16th over for a good 39, with the score on 86, Lisburn were struggling and although Nathan Waller scored an uncharacteristic 37 in 59 balls and raised the Lisburn score to 153 in the 35th over before both Chetty and Waller were dismissed. Chetty had scored his 5th successive half century being caught and bowled for 51 while Waller was also caught for 37.

Lisburn eventually reached the respectable tally of 172 for 6 before the long expected rain came down in the 38th over. Play was delayed for over an hour and just when the umpires declared that Lisburn required the ludicrous score of 72 off 2 overs according to Duckworth/Lewis, the heavens opened and no more play was possible. The result was therefore a 56 run win for CIYMS and an end to Lisburn’s winning streak.