Glenavy win local derby as they get back to action with cup encounter

St.Joseph's Glenavy and St.James' Aldergrove in cup action.
St.Joseph's Glenavy and St.James' Aldergrove in cup action.

O’Cahan Cup 1st. Round

St.Joseph’s Glenavy 1.08 St.James’ Aldergrove 0.08

This first round game was played at Crumlin Community Centre’s 3G pitch on a cold wintry afternoon.

The game was played in a good sporting manner with both teams trying to find their way in the first game of the season.

Michael McCourt struck first for the Chapel Hill side with a pointed free quickly followed by Fergal Green splitting the post from a placed ball. Stephen Gorman replied with a pointed free.

Lorcan Heenan playing in his first full senior game put his side two up with the first score from play. Fergal Green slotted over his side’s fourth point from a well taken free. Chris O’Kane pulled one back for the Crumlin side.

St.James was beginning to find their way back into the game and only for some wasteful shooting could have closed the gap on their opponents.

On one of their attacks it took a good save from Joseph Magee to keep them at bay at the expense of a 45. Glenavy weathered the storm and finished the half with two excellent points from county player Owen Gallagher to leave the halftime score 0.6 to 0.5.

Aldergrove started the second half in a workman like fashion and really put it up to their opponents.

Only for some last ditch defending by the Glenavy defence the return of three points would have been much more.

Mark Jordan started the fight back with a well worked point from play quickly followed by another from Seamus McGarry. Chris O’Kane pointed a free to leave just one between the sides.

Fergal Green put his side two up with a pointed free. Chris O’Kane closed the gap with a point from a placed ball.

Then came the turning point in the game when a well worked move saw corner back Niall McCann slip in behind the Aldergrove defence and was fouled in the big square.

Malachy McCourt taking the resultant penalty coolly slotted the ball to the corner of the net to leave four between the sides.

Chris O’Kane once again showed his expertise in free taking when he pointed from an acute angle. Conleith Hendron had the Crumlin side’s final score when he pointed from play.

Niall McCann closed the scoring with a point from play to leave the final score 1.08 v 0.0. From the kickout referee Vincent Boyle blew the final whistle to leave the Chapel Hill side waiting on the winners of Rasharkin and Portglenone.