Garvey Seconds are comfortable winners

Lisnagarvey's Seconds and Thirds in action.
Lisnagarvey's Seconds and Thirds in action.

Lisnagarvey Seconds 10 Lisnagarvey 3rds 3

In an entertaining but one sided game between Garvey Seconds and Thirds in Junior 1, the 2nds ran out more than comfortable winners by 10 goals to 3.

The Seconds started strongly with goals from Andrew O’Hare and Jacob Hermon but their opponents struck back with a goal from captain Richard McConkey.

However, the 2nds got well into their stride as the first half went on with three more strikes from O’Hare, Greg Thompson and skipper Phil Stirling to give his team a 5-1 lead at the interval.

O’Hare completed his hat trick early in the second half while Sam Brown gave the gallant 3rds a second goal after 50 minutes.

The Junior 1 league champions showed their club mates little mercy as they added a further three goals through Thompson, Hermon and Matthew Nelson before Glenn Halliday completed a goal feast with a third goal for the Thirds leaving the final tally at 10 goals to 3 for the Seconds who are looking good to retain their title even at this early stage.

Fifths get off to a fine start

Lisnagarvey 5ths 3

Portadown 2nds 2

Garvey Fifths met a strong young Portadown Seconds at Comber Road in their opening game in their Junior 3 season.

Both teams played some attractive hockey in the early part of the game with the home side being much the more penetrative.

The 5ths also restricted their opponents to just one scoring chance during the first half while they grabbed the lead after 10 minutes.

The goal came from a Grant Hayes penalty corner but even with some pressure they could not extend their 1-0 lead by the interval.

A good interception by Iain Getty led to Mark Murray scoring a second goal for the 5ths after 40 minutes and a few seconds later the same player added goal number three.

However, Portadown were far from finished as their forced two turn overs from which they scored two surprise goals to leave the final 10 minutes a tight encounter but the 5ths defence was able to regroup and hold onto their 3-2 lead until the final whistle to give them the best of starts in the league campaign.