Garvey go top after seven heaven on opening weekend

Matthew Nelson was on target for Garvey during their 7-0 rout on Sunday afternoon. Pic: Rowland White / Presseye
Matthew Nelson was on target for Garvey during their 7-0 rout on Sunday afternoon. Pic: Rowland White / Presseye

Lisnagarvey began their defence of their EYHL title in the manner befitting champions.

They’re already top of the table after earning two victories, a narrow 3-2 win over UCD on Saturday and a 7-0 thrashing of Railway Union a day later.



Recently promoted UCD looked nervous in the opening quarter at Comber Road but goalkeeper Stephen Dawson made a series of fine saves from a James Lorimer penalty corner and shots from Ryan Getty and Andy Williamson, whose effort was deflected onto the upright.

And he got his rewards when the visitors went ahead. Their first penalty corner was parried by Garvey keeper James Milliken only for Iain Styles to slot home the rebound.

Garvey came close to an equaliser when Williamson again drew a save from Dawson but the first quarter ended with the Students holding the slender advantage.

The second quarter saw Dawson save from Lorimer and Williamson and survive a great dribble from Sean Murray before Garvey found the equaliser. Their second set piece from Andy Williamson beat Dawson low to his left for 1-1.

In the third quarter, Matthew Nelson forced Garvey’s fourth penalty corner and, after a retake, James Lorimer found the roof of the net for a well-deserved 2-1 lead.

Lorimer was again in the action in the 44th minute with a fine run down the right before passing to Neil Glassey who blasted past Dawson with a vicious reverse for 3-1.

The Dubliners didn’t give up and Jazze Henry deflected home a penalty corner to make it a nervy finish, although Garvey edged over the line.



Garvey came out with all guns blazing and within 15 minutes had greatly reduced the Railway Union threat by scoring twice. From there, they never looked back.

Garvey’s opening penalty corner from Andy Williamson eventually found the net and it was two when daniel Buser’s cross was slipped home by Matthew Nelson.

After Railway keeper O’Keefe saved the next penalty corner, Daniel Nelson made it three, rocketing the ball into the top corner.

The same Nelson drew another save from O’Keefe in the 23rd minute before the rampant Garvey scored their fourth. It came from their third penalty corner; the James Lorimer shot was saved only for the ball to fall to Williamson who quickly slotted home the rebound.

The second quarter was completed in some style when a Matthew Nelson shot was saved again by the gallant O’Keefe only to see Peter MacDonnell pick up the rebound and place it past him for goal number five.

Garvey continued to outplay their opponents during the second period and it was six when Buser scored a penalty stroke.

And the scoring was complete when, in last minute of the third quarter, James Lorimer flicked the ball low past O’Keefe from Garvey’s fifth penalty corner.

The final quarter was played out without much incident although Daniel Buser did block Railway’s only penalty corner in the 56th minute to maintain the visitors’ clean sheet.