Four Lisburn GC teams cruise on through

Lisburn's Fred Daly team Aaron Marshall, Josh Robinson, Glenn Walsh (Team captain), Jack Shellard and Kyle Patton.
Lisburn's Fred Daly team Aaron Marshall, Josh Robinson, Glenn Walsh (Team captain), Jack Shellard and Kyle Patton.

There were four big wins for Lisburn GC teams recently.


Lisburn whitewashed Donegal Golf Club 5–0 in their home match. David McAleenan won the top match on the 16th green. His victory was closely followed by Arron Marshall’s win on 14.

Kyle Patton was one down at the turn but two birdies at the start of the back nine put him ahead and he won four and three. Josh Robinson and Jack Shellard got off to good starts and won on the 14th and 15th greens respectively.


Lisburn progressed to the next round with an exciting last hole victory over City of Derry at Moyola Park.

Amy Jeffers and Matt Lyness won the top match on the 17th green. A few minutes later Colin Reid and Valerie Rooney won their match three and two. City of Derry won the last two matches and the outcome depended on the match involving Trevor Murphy and Daphne Houston.

It was level on the final tee at the long par five. City of Derry were in the trees after two shots while Lisburn were on the fairway. Lisburn were short in four but Daphne chipped to four feet. City of Derry holed out in seven leaving Trevor a four foot putt for victory. When the ball disappeared, Lisburn had won 3–2 and advanced to the last eight.


David McDowell’s team required 2.5 points to defeat Spa and duly got them.

Mervyn Mawhinney and Ivor Walker were two ahead at the turn and one ahead after on the final tee. Ivor pitched to two feet to ensure victory.

Randal Kernaghan and Brian Houston were six ahead after nine and ran out easy winners. When Robert Campbell and Colin Jeffers went two ahead after 16, Lisburn were in an unassailable position and Gary Brett and Jim Burns’ match was called in.


There was great excitement at Banbridge where Lisburn were trying to protect a five holes advantage.

The Lisburn lead disappeared when Gary Campbell and Rodney Osborne lost the top match by two holes and Gerard McErlean and Simon Holmes lost by four holes. Michael Robinson & Colin Hill won their match by three holes while Chris Budd and Andy Power halved their match to leave Lisburn winners by two holes.


Lisburn had a disappointing day in the first round of the match play stages of the Irish Senior Cup.

Playing on their own course hopes were high that they could overcome Shandon Park. They got off to a great start with Ryan Symington winning four and three. Chris Moulds was not at his best and was three down after 15.

He won 16 but shook hands on the following green. Norman McNellis and Kyle Patton lost their matches while Aaron Marshall was called in when he was still one ahead. Shandon went on to defeat Dunmurry in the afternoon.