Five star Garvey continue rise up the Ulster Premier League

Garvey's James Lorimer netted against Kilkeel on Saturday. Pic: Rowland White / Presseye.
Garvey's James Lorimer netted against Kilkeel on Saturday. Pic: Rowland White / Presseye.

Lisnagarvey continued their climb up the Premier League table with a convincing 5-2 win away at Kilkeel last Saturday.

In cold and rainy conditions, Garvey made the perfect start with a goal in the four minutes.

After half chances for both teams, Garvey grabbed the lead when Timmy Cockram found Sean Murray wide on the right of the circle and the midfielder beat Kilkeel keeper Sam Morrison from five metres out.

Andy Williamson thought he had claimed a goal in the 11th minute when he seemed to have got a touch on a Johnny Quigley cross but the umpire thought otherwise while at the other end a first penalty corner for the home side brought three reaction saves from Garvey keeper John Tormey.

Garvey replied immediately with a set piece of their own in the 16th minute. The drag-flick from Cockram was somehow deflected for a long corner and a second effort brought a fine save from Morrison, who was proving to be the saviour for Kilkeel.

A third penalty corner for the visitors was taken by Williamson but again in-form stopper Morrison made a fine stop.

More pressure led to good movement involving a number of Garvey players which led to James Dowling setting up Daniel Nelson for the second goal as he beat Morrison close to goal in the 23rd minute.

Sustained attacks from Garvey should have brought more goals but instead Kilkeel got on the score-sheet in the 28th minute. Anslett on the right wing made ground before finding Finlay who slipped the ball past Tormey.

Kilkeel began the second half at pace and pushed Garvey back into their circle for a short period but they could not create open chances and when Garvey broke out of defence, Daniel Nelson found James Lorimer clear on the left of the Kilkeel circle and the defender beat Morrison with a crisp shot.

Garvey then bagged their fourth and decisive goal. Peter MacDonnell did the spadework before delivering the ball to Daniel Nelson, who worked his way into the circle and beat Morrison on his reverse side to net the goal of the game.

Garvey finished their goal scoring in the 64th minute. Daniel Buser, Andy Williamson and Peter MacDonnell inter-passed the ball before Williamson completed the excellent flowing move with a simple touch into the net.

Kilkeel grabbed a consolation goal in the 68th minute when the Garvey defence was caught asleep and Agnew shot past Tormey from five metres.

Garvey fully deserved the points with a good solid performance against a home side which gave them very little and whose goalkeeper was by far the man of the match.

Garvey’s next Premier match is today (Friday). They travel to Deramore Park to take on Belfast Harlequins at 8pm.

Harlequins have struggled this season so Garvey should claim vital league points to move closer to pace-setters Banbridge.