Disappointment as Seconds bow out of cup

Action from the match between Lisnagarvey 2 and South Antrim, at Comber Road. US1602-513cd  Picture: Cliff Donaldson
Action from the match between Lisnagarvey 2 and South Antrim, at Comber Road. US1602-513cd Picture: Cliff Donaldson

Lisnagarvey Seconds 2 Cork Church of Ireland Seconds 3

Lisnagarvey Seconds made an untimely exit from the Irish Junior Cup at Comber Road last Saturday.

They held a goal advantage over visitors Cork Church of Ireland but could not finish off their stubborn opponents and eventually lost by 3 goals to 2.

Fielding a strong side, Garvey started the match at a very fast pace and deserved their opening penalty corner in the 3rd minute.

Matthew Nelson placed his very quick drag flick into the top left hand corner of the net to give his team an early advantage.

Ryan Getty after a fine run, shot over the cross bar in the 6th minute and Matthew Nelson and Scott McCabe had chances close to goal but the Cork keeper and his dogged defence kept the Garvey attackers at bay.

Garvey gained a 2nd penalty corner in the 19th minute after some constant pressure but on this occasion, Nelson put his drag flick past the upright and still Garvey could not capitalise on their superiority in mid field.

In the 30th minute, Cork grabbed their chance to equalise with a fast penalty corner from Burns which gave Garvey keeper James Milliken little chance of making a save.

The first half ended with the score at 1-1 with Garvey regretting their missed chances and Cork came out with a lot more purpose in the second period.

They forced a penalty corner in the 45th minute but Milliken saved with some ease.

At the other end Garvey created a great chance when they penetrated the Cork circle and Joel Taggart struck the post and seconds later a Ryan Getty shot was well blocked by the Cork Keeper.

Mark Raphael, Garvey’s most influential player had a great dribble through the Cork defence in the 53rd minute but all resulted was a 3rd penalty corner for Garvey which was switched around the circle only for the final shot to be blocked and then cleared by the bust Cork defence.

With 10 minutes remaining, Garvey defender Ian Davidson was yellow carded leaving his team with ten men until the end of the game and almost immediately Cork took advantage of the situation and grabbed their second goal after some confusion in the Garvey defence.

The second Cork goal had been scored in the 62nd minute and three minutes later they sealed their place in the semi-final with a third and decisive goal with Garvey pushing for the vital equaliser.

Garvey’s captain, Phil Stirling did give his team a last chance when he scored in the 68th minute but it was too late and he and his team were very disappointed to run out losers by 3 goals to 2 having controlled much of the 70 minutes without being able to complete the deal.