Annadale give seconds a tough early encounter

editorial image

South Antrim 2nds 2

Annadale 2nds 3

South Antrim 2s took on Annadale 2s this week knowing that this would be a tough early test for the new look seconds side against an established Junior 1 side.

The game started with Dale having the majority of the ball trying to work it around the South defence.

The South back four restricted Dale to just a few chances in the opening exchanges, until a strong run from a Dale attacker set up a back post deflection from a low driven reverse across the circle. Then, just moments after the first goal, Dale sent carbon copy of the first reverse stick cross and another scored another deflection at the back post.

However, the South boys did not let their heads drop and fought back creating their own chances, unfortunately with none troubling the opposition keeper. A moment of individual brilliance brought South back into the game.

Darren Hutchinson picked the ball up just outside the Annadale circle, beat his defender with a quick spin and hit a shot that found the top corner of the net. South kept the pressure on, looking for an equaliser with Annadale were rattled, and thanks to an interception by Mark Conn, he played in Chris Arnott who dribbled the ball along the base line and picked out Neil Wilson for a diving deflection at the near post.

This gave south a well-deserved equaliser going into the half time break at 2-2. The second half was much like the first with both teams having an equal share of the ball. Unfortunately, Annadale’s league experience shoen through and, from a quick break, a Dale forward found himself with the ball on the base line and managed to wriggle his way into the circle to have a shot that was saved my Ian glass but he could do nothing about the rebound that followed.

South didn’t give up hope and nearly levelled the game in the closing stages. Wilson found a pass to Darren on the flick spot, whose shot was stopped on the line by the defender, resulting in a penalty flick that Wilson stepped up to take.

Sadly though he could not convert, the flick and hit the post, squandering the chance for south to get back on level terms. Although Annadale won this encounter, the South boys can be proud of their performance against one of the top teams in the league.

South Antrim 3s were also in cup action last week, they travelled to play Mossley, to play their 4ths having had the previous week off. The 3rds struggled to get into the game and soon went a goal down. South Antrim went two down moments later after a short corner from Mossley found the net.

South Antrim then grew into the game in the second half and began to control the ball. Stephen Hood scored to make it 2-1, but it was too little too late.