Lisburn match is abandoned due to the weather

Lisburn's Carl Williams bowls in a recent match. Picture by Jonathan Porter/Press Eye
Lisburn's Carl Williams bowls in a recent match. Picture by Jonathan Porter/Press Eye

Lisburn’s Premier League against Waringstown at The Lawn suffered from the rain last Saturday and after just 10 overs was abandoned.

Waringstown had won the toss and had reached 58 for 1 when the rain ended proceedings. Darryl Brown claimed the wicket of James McCollum while James Hall and Lee Nelson were undefeated when the umpires and captains called a halt.

Lisburn Seconds, however, completed two league matches and had mixes results. They recorded a fine win over Waringstown Seconds on Saturday in the Park but lost on Sunday, again in the Park to Muckamore Seconds leaving the team requiring a few wins to ease their league position.

On Saturday the game against Waringstown turned out to be great entertainment as Lisburn scraped through by just 4 runs. The Seconds won the toss add batted first with rain in the air but managed a more than reasonable 198 in their 50 overs.

Top scorer was Matthew Gleave with 69 while Johnny Ritchie [38]. Carl Williams[33], Cyril Mertese [32] and skipper Graham Elliott with 30 not out all contributing valuable runs.

With rain intervening on a number of times, Waringstown were always up with the run rate throughout their reply with Hingston with 49 and veteran Alan Waite, 32 not out taking their team to within 4 runs of victory.

However, all Lisburn’s bowlers stuck to their task and made contributions.

Richard Booth with 1 for 29 off his 10 overs, Johnny Ritchie [2 for 21], Matthew Gleave [2 for 21], Carl Williams[ 1 for 29] and Cyril Mertese [2 for 8] grabbed a great win for the team with 4 runs to spare and three balls left in the game.

Sunday was far from as rewarding as Lisburn lost heavily by 70 runs to Muckamore Seconds.

The visitors batted first on a much better day in the Park and accumulated a useful 171. Richard Booth again chipped in with 2 for 22. David Whitten took 3 for 13 in 7 good overs while Cyril Mertese had 3 for 31 and Callum Atkinson 1 for 33.

Lisburn must have been pleased with their bowling but their batting reply was far from satisfactory being dismissed for 100 in 37 overs to lose by the large margin of 70 runs.

Only Matthew Gleave managed a decent score; 30 as the Seconds lost their 4th game of the season and must now lift their performance if there are not to struggle in the lower half of Junior 1.

Lisburn Ists have a more than difficult week end in front of them; on Saturday they travel the short distance to Shaws Bridge to play Premier League contenders Instonians while on Sunday they move to Stormont to take on CSNI in the match postponed from June 27.

Having won just one game against Carrickfergus, Lisburn badly need to chalk up another success but winning at Shaws Bridge and Stormont will be no easy task.

The situation has been made more difficult as Carrickfergus gained their first win of the season against CIYMS last Saturday putting them on par with Lisburn with a single win apiece.