Lisburn cruise to victory to ease relegation fears

Lisburn RFC in action against Ballymoney. Pic by Gary Barlow.
Lisburn RFC in action against Ballymoney. Pic by Gary Barlow.

At Blaris last Saturday the Smiley Monroe Lisburn 1st XV eventually turned a corner in Kukri Qualifying League 2 when putting Ballymoney to the sword in an excellent display of rugby that the visitors had no answer to.

Played in good conditions, after the deluges of the last few months, Lisburn knew that this was a game that they had to win in order to stave off the threat of relegation.

While this is still a possibility in the dogfight now arising at the foot of the table, they have put themselves in with a fighting chance of survival.

Lisburn went into a 5-0 lead after just five minutes when the ball was moved left through the backs and full back Andy Cardosi joined the line to go in at the corner.

Ten minutes later a similar flowing movement saw the ball blocked down by the Ballymoney defence but alert winger Ross Reaney was on hand to pick it up and score.

His opposite winger, Scott Hughes kicked an excellent conversion to put Lisburn into a 12-0 lead.

Ballymoney were determined not to go down without a fight and started a period of sustained pressure through their front five but it was Lisburn who again came up with the next score.

Moving the ball wide through their three quarters they found Ross Reaney with an overlap and the big winger shot through for the third try. Again, Scott Hughes kicked the difficult conversion and Lisburn were 19-0 ahead.

While Lisburn had entered this game seeking a win, they now began to harbour thoughts of a bonus point and this duly arrived within five minutes of the re-start.

A five metre lineout saw Alan Hughes take a clean catch and drive through the cover for the fourth try and a 24-0 lead.

Matt Edgar, playing a Captain’s part in galvanising his pack, was the next on the score sheet when he broke through following a lineout and within minutes winger Ross Reaney picked up his hat trick of tries after quick passes through half backs Weir and Vave and centres David Gilkinson and Jake Beddington put him in at the corner.

David Gilkinson was the next to score when the big centre burst through a number of weak tackles and Scott Hughes scored the final try when he darted through the cover following some poor Ballymoney clearances.

With eight tries and two conversions, Lisburn will be happy with their days work but also realise that the two remaining games against Donaghadee and Academy after Easter will determine where they play their rugby next season.

Lisburn 2’s led by Captain Jamie Dickson, beat Ballymoney 2’s 19-7 to put themselves into a top four position in Junior League 3.