Whites bounce back well to earn a fine point away to Knockbreda

Knockbreda's Jordan Hughes in action with Distillery's Ciaran Burns. Pic by Matt Mackey / Presseye
Knockbreda's Jordan Hughes in action with Distillery's Ciaran Burns. Pic by Matt Mackey / Presseye

Lisburn Distillery took on Knockbreda on Saturday afternoon at Breda park, with the Whites hoping to respond to last week’s embarrassing defeat at the hands of Armagh City.

Sean Paul Murray’s men started the game on top and they went ahead on just two minutes as Lee Chapman bombed up the wing skipping the challenges before supplying a sublime cross into the penalty area for Rhys Grainger to simply head into the net leaving Steven McKay with no chance.

The former academy youngster has now scored in consecutive weeks - a bright spark to end the season.

Raymond Bell’s men, however, were level a couple of minutes later as slack Distillery play allowed former Whites player Jordan Hughes to burst into the box and head home a beautiful cross from the right.

This set the tone for the next period of play with Knockbreda pressing and pressing, they should have been ahead as Daniel Burns hit a sweet strike from just outside the box only for Jimmy Mcilhagga come to his side’s rescue and deflect the ball behind.

‘Breda, however, eventually did take the lead as Wilson hit a sweet strike from range the ball swerving into the net to the delight of the home supporters.

Sean Paul Murray was getting increasingly frustrated at his side’s play, and if it wasn’t for Chapman, ‘Breda would have had a third as Wilson and Hughes linked up well only for the latter to be well tackled inside the area by the impressive Chapman.

The Whites, to their credit, lifted their game and dug in and created the next real chance on 40 minutes as Chapman played in a sweet free-kick only for the Breda defence to head away when Grainger was ready to pounce.

Distillery refused to lie down and were nearly level as substitute Darius Roohi crossed low to the back post, but somehow Phil Simpson slid the ball wide when he really should have scored.

Distillery then found themselves level as Roohi slipped in Kieran O’Connor and he finished cooly by firing low into the net past the onrushing McKay.

The Whites now upped the tempo and ‘Breda ‘keeper McKay came to his side’s aid minutes later as Roohi latched on to the ball at the back-post but he was denied by the palms of the home keeper.

Knockbreda then hit the Whites on the counter in an end to end game as Hughes was foiled by McIlhagga, who was having a superb afternoon working his socks of as usual.

The impressive Rhys Grainger thought he was through on goal as he chased down the home defender forcing him into a mistake, only for the referee to blow up for a foul - a harsh decision on the youngster.

Whites boss Sean Paul Murray decided it was time for a change as he brought off O’Connor and replaced him with Noel Halfpenny hoping to snatch a late winner, but it remained 2-2.

A positive result for the Whites then after the previous week’s debacle and once again the youth were the main talking points from the game.

Next up for the Whites is a long away trip to Dergview this Saturday, kick off is at 3pm.