Ten-man Whites defeated by Seasiders

editorial image

Bangor 2

Lisburn Distillery 1

Lisburn Distillery took on Bangor at the Bangor Fuels Arena on Saturday afternoon, with the Whites hoping to gain the first win in what is an extremely important month for Tommy Kincaid’s side.

Distillery started the game well spraying the ball around the surface not allowing Bangor to settle but at the same time they were not creating any real chances.

Ryan McBride was the first goalkeeper to be called into action on fifteen minutes when he made a fine one handed stop to deny Andrew Morrow.

Distillery, however, were holding firm and not crumbling under the pressure.

Marty Jones then had Lisburn Distillery’s first real chance of the game when he was played in on his weaker foot his shot going straight at Chris Johns in the Bangor goal. McMullan, however, was still causing all sorts of problems for Bangor on the right and he created a superb chance for Morrow when he cut the ball back to him unmarked but blazed his shot over yet another let off for Kincaid’s side.

With the half on the blow Bangor took the lead. A needless freekick had been conceded just on the edge of the penalty area and up stepped Mark Cooling to curl his strike beyond McBride.

Bangor started the second half on the attack as Dean Youle crossed to Richard Gibson, his header beating McBride, only for a clearance on the line to deny a second goal.

However the home support were celebrating minutes later when Youle once again cut the ball back for Curry to smash the ball into the net.

Distillery’s heads dropped after this and it almost resulted in them nearly falling further behind.

Mark Armstrong could have given the Whites a lifeline on his return from injury as he got on the end of a cross but his header well kept out by Johns in the Seasiders goal.

Disaster was then to strike for Distillery as Marty Jones was sent off for a silly tackle that he never needed to make after he was being wound up by the home fans.

A recurring theme then for the Whites and one that is very worrying - this the fifth red card of the campaign.

Down to ten men again it was set to be an uphill battle for Distillery to get something out of the game.

Kincaid’s side then pulled a goal back late on to give them a lifeline as Jimmy McIlhagga met a free kick to head unmarked into the net; a frantic finish was awaiting.

Fegan got the ball rolling as his pace saw him fly down the wing he played the ball to Niall Derry but he wasted the chance smashing the ball over to the groans of the Distillery support. Sean Southam had the final chance to rescue a point with a goalmouth scramble but the substitute couldn’t make any connection of the ball and the Seasiders cleared.

Next up a trip to Lurgan Celtic, in what is already a crucial game.