Some positive performances but same outcome for Lisburn Distillery

Michael Bell (left) and Jim Mulholland (right) present club director Bobby Radcliffe with the proceeds from last week's Distillery Supporters Trust Quiz. Picture - David Hunter.
Michael Bell (left) and Jim Mulholland (right) present club director Bobby Radcliffe with the proceeds from last week's Distillery Supporters Trust Quiz. Picture - David Hunter.

Life after Tommy Kincaid started at home to Annagh United for Lisburn Distillery on Saturday, with interim trio Nick O’Neil, Jimmy McIlhagga and Darren Nixon leading the Whites into battle.

Distillery were aiming for their second win of the campaign, and it was they who had the first chance of the game as Lee Chapman charged the ball down to cross for Kevin Hughes but he could only fire wide of the target.

Despite being threatened little by the visitors in the first 10 minutes, once again it was proved about the importance of taking your chances when they come along as Annagh took the lead with their first attack as Scott McCordick got on the end of a well timed through ball to fire past Ryan McBride.

Distillery responded well creating a great chance on twenty one minutes as a goalmouth scramble saw the ball drop for Artur Kopyt his shot kept out by Robinson.

Robinson had to be alert once again as he kept out a superb overhead kick by Sean Southam.

Distillery were really up for the game playing at a high tempo, a much better performance than last week’s defeat.

They could have been all square through captain Darren Nixon as he headed just over from a looping Denver Taggart free-kick.

They really should have equalised moments later as great work by Micheal Fegan saw him cross for Hughes only for him to miscue his effort and drag his shot wide of goal when he really should have scored.

It was all one way traffic for the home side at this point with Distillery pressing for an equaliser and it really should have arrived on forty minutes as Denver Taggart crossed low to Southam but he couldn’t get a connection to the ball.

Annagh had the first chance of the second half as Streton beat the offside trap after poor Distillery defending but he was denied by a wonderfully timed sliding challenge from Nixon.

Nick O’Neil, who was managing the side from the sidelines, made his first change bringing off Denver Taggart and replacing him with Marty Jones who was returning from suspension.

Two quick changes were to follow as Jimmy McIlhagga was replaced with Ryan Corrigan who was making his first appearance in eight months after suffering an injury last season and it was brilliant for everyone associated with Distillery to see him back, Sean Southam was also replaced by Mark Armstrong.

The Whites continued to press and Fegan thought he had equalized a minute later as he headed wide at the back post after a wicked delivery by Hughes.

The game was sealed for Annagh deep into injury time as they went 2-0 ahead as McCordick smashed in his second of the game.

This was how the game was to end a disappointing result but quite a few positive performances and certainly one to build on as they travel to Loughall next Saturday.

Cheque presented to Mayor

Ged Irwin, chairman of Lisburn Distillery Academy, along with coaches David Irwin, Cameron Moore, Stephen Logue and Simon Wragg, recently handed over a cheque for the Mayor’s charity to Mayor Thomas Beckett.

The money was raised during a 27-mile sponsored walk from Larne to Distillery’s New Grosvenor stadium at Ballyskeagh in August.

A 5.30am start in Larne saw a long day begin, but they made it just in time for kick-off and were officially welcomed home by the Mayor of Lisburn and Castlereagh City Council, Councillor Thomas Beckett.

Money raised from the event went to The Mary Peters’ Trust (the Mayor’s charity) and Distillery’s Youth Academy – with well over £1000 raised in total.