Missed chances leave out-of-form Distillery beaten at Dergview

31st January 2015   �William Cherry/Presseye''Distillery's Colm Kirgan with Ballyclare's Randal Reid during Saturdays Championship 1 game at Ballyskeagh.
31st January 2015 �William Cherry/Presseye''Distillery's Colm Kirgan with Ballyclare's Randal Reid during Saturdays Championship 1 game at Ballyskeagh.

Sixth took on seventh in the league on Saturday afternoon as Lisburn Distillery travelled to Dergview and went down 3-1.

It was the Whites who started the better, creating the first chance of the game as Sean Southam chased down Dergview keeper Jack Boggs whose scuffed clearance fell to Darren Smyth who in turn shot from range the ball dipping towards goal only for the covering defender to clear off the line.

Dergview’s first chance of the game was carved out by Adam Lecky who drove forward taking out the Distillery defence before playing a pass to Stephen Sharvin in a promising position but he rushed his shot resulting in the ball going wide. Shortly after this let off, Whites skipper Darren Nixon came to his side’s rescue as he cleared Aaron Arkinson cross off the toes of Lecky as he waited to shoot.

Dergview took the lead on 22 minutes when, after some neat interactive passing in the Distillery penalty area, Aaron Arkinson cooly chipped the ball over Ryan McBride and into the net to put Richard Clarke’s side in the driving seat.

The Whites forced their way back into the game and were nearly level as fantastic football by Martin Jones and Darren Smyth saw the latter back heel the ball into the unmarked Sean Southam at the back post but he scuffed his shot wide - a very good chance gone begging for Tommy Kincaid’s side.

Distillery were once again nearly back all square as Southam lept like a salmon out of water to head an effort which bounced off the crossbar, the ball falling to Jones but his shot somehow squirmed wide.

However, against the run of play, Dergview won a penalty as Ryan McBride took down Arkinson after a poor back pass put the goalkeeper under pressure. Adam Lecky took full responsibility up he stepped to slam the ball straight down the middle of the net to give the hosts a two goal cushion.

This seemed to knock the heart out of the visitors and they were fortunate when they failed to clear their lines the ball falling to Lecky but his shot was superbly blocked by Jimmy McIlhagga.

Dergview sealed the affair when they went three ahead as a slick through ball by Arkinson found Sharvin who remained cool, calm and collected to finish sweetly low into the net leaving McBride with no chance.

A 3-0 scoreline would have been rough justice on the visitors so it was only right that they got some sort of reward for their efforts as Marty Jones pulled a goal back for Distillery.

With time against them the Whites tried to get back into the game as first Jones cross nearly found the diving head of Southam and then the ball came out of the box for Thompson to drive his shot just wide.

DISTILLERY: McBride, Young, Nixon, Morton, Thompson, jones, O’connor, McIlhagga, doyle, Smith, Southam

Subs: Kirgan, Short (Smith), Morrison (Young), McClarnon.