Matty’s double earns Crewe a draw

Crewe United's goal-scorer Matty Harkin in action.
Crewe United's goal-scorer Matty Harkin in action.

When Crew United meet Fivemiletown, there are always goals.

Last weekend’s match was no different as the two teams played out a 2-2 draw in Intermediate A, Matty Harkin scoring twice for the hosts.

After 10 minutes, Crewe striker Seamy Moore broke free of the visitors defence and was through on goal. He couldn’t finish the chance off however as he fired at the visiting keeper.

Just five minutes later, Moore had another opportunity as a Tommy McBride shot fell at the big striker’s feet and he forced a good save as Crewe piled on the pressure.

Fivemiletown came back into the game and after 25 minutes Ricki Carroll latched on to a through ball from McDowell only for Corey Wilson to produce a good save in the Crewe goal to keep honours even.

After half an hour, the deadlock was eventually broken as Sean McAteer slid into a tackle inside the Crewe penalty area and the referee awarded a penalty to Fivemiletown.

The visitors’ talisman Chris McDowell stepped up and coolly slotted home from the spot to put Fivemiletown one up.

This seemed to spur Crewe into action once more. Matty Harkin broke down the Crewe left and neatly finished into the bottom corner just five minutes after Fivemiletown had taken the lead.

There was time for more action before the break as on 44 minutes, Ricki Carroll again caused problems in the Crewe defence and squared to Ivan Carson to tap in from a yard out.

Crewe could have levelled just before the referee blew his whistle for half-time as, after some trickery in the box, Mark McCullough had his effort cleared off the line by a Fivemiletown defender.

Crewe came out in the second half all guns blazing to try and force the equaliser. Crewe dominated the possession without creating any clear cut chances.

However, after 65 minutes a long raking ball from Mick O’Neill at right back caught the defence napping, Matty Harkin again picked up the pass and finished without any fuss to level things up.

It was all Crewe at this stage and they looked the more dangerous going forward but Fivemiletown were also dangerous on the break, without really threatening Corey Wilson’s goal.

Both sides tried hard to get the winner but it wasn’t to be and in the end a draw was about the right result over the course of the 90 minutes as Crewe maintain their unbeaten start to the season.