Disappointment for Distillery at rain soaked New Grosvenor

Distillery debutant Taylor Evans. Pic by Declan Roughan - Presseye
Distillery debutant Taylor Evans. Pic by Declan Roughan - Presseye

Lisburn Distillery 0 Knockbreda 2

Lisburn Distillery took on Knockbreda at a rain soaked New Grosvenor Stadium on Saturday.

Raymond Bell’s side and the Whites have met already this season in the Steel and Sons Cup, with ‘Breda walking away 3-2 victors on that occasion.

Saturday’s game got off to a slow start with the visitors having the first chance as Daniel Burns slid in unchallenged to hook his shot just wide after a wonderful low cross from Dylan Wilson.

Distillery, however, responded well and should have gone ahead as Ryan Corrigan played in a delicious free kick to the back post but Martin Jones flicked the ball just wide of the target.

Sean Paul Murray’s second game was going to plan as the Whites were getting in the oppositions faces stopping them playing free flowing attacking football.

Reece Kane then had to be alert to stop the visitors from taking the lead when Wilson crossed for Carl McComb his shot tipped wide of the post for a corner.

Kane denied McComb with a marvellous stop minutes later.

Knockbreda were playing some decent football and eventually took the lead although there was nothing pretty about it as Andrew Ferguson, a former Distillery player, scrambled the ball into the net after extremely poor defending from a corner kick, as the Whites had numerous attempts to clear the ball.

Lisburn Distillery could have been immediately level as Kevin Hughes played in Denver Taggart, the young winger one on one with former Donegal Celtic teammate Gerard McErlean, the keeper winning the battle making a wonderful reaction save.

Distillery have found it very tough to score this season but thought they had their equaliser on thirty two minutes as Kevin Hughes’ mazy run saw him fire a powerful drive at goal, the ball deflecting up off Matthew King and whistled over the top.

As the half drew to a close it was Knockbreda who were edging proceedings and Kane made another good save this time from David Johnson as his thunderbolt stung the palms of the keeper.

Knockbreda came out the second half the better side giving Distillery the run around, keeping possession very well and playing very direct football.

The Whites would have gone into the second half hopeful of a fight back, but it was Knockbreda who scored a second early on as David Johnson rose highest to prod in a whipped in ball, the ball trickling into the bottom corner of the net despite the despairing dive of the goalkeeper. Distillery’s heads dropped but they could have, and it would be fair to say should have, pulled a goal back when debutant Taylor Evans bombed up the wing and crossed into the back post for Jones, but he dallied on the ball before eventually his shot was blocked by the sliding Scott Nixon.

Breda where awarded a penalty midway through the second half after Dylan Wilson was brought down in the box after some dallying in the heart of the Whites defence and up stepped McComb, but it was superbly kept out by the fantastic Kane, the young keeper certainly making a good impression to the Whites support in the absence of the suspended Ryan McBride.

As the game drew to a close Kane was forced into two further great saves to deny Wilson and a stinging McCain drive what turned out to be a disappointing day for the Distillery faithful.

LDFC Team v Knockbreda: Kane, Evans, Nixon, Burns, Chapman, Kopyt, McIlhagga, Hughes, Corrigan, Jones, Taggart.

Subs: Southam (for Jones), Grainger (for Taggart), Armstrong (for Kopyt), Morrison.