Cup heartache for Crewe

editorial image

Crewe bowed out of the Premier Cup at the first hurdle as they fell to undefeated Newry City at Crewe Park.

In a game of two halves, Crewe went into the break two goals to the good. However, Newry fought back to run out 3-2 winners.

The game began in cagey fashion as both sides probed with little effect. The deadlock was broken, however, when a diagonal ball over the Newry defence found the Crewe winger Terry McGrath in space just inside the Newry box. McGrath smashed his shot to the far post leaving Peter Murphy in the Newry goal little chance and gave Crewe an early lead.

With 25 minutes gone the Newry keeper was again in action, this time responsible for spilling the ball to Mark McCullough to leave the Crewe striker with the easiest of tap-ins.

Crewe grew in confidence and should have had a penalty when McGrath’s pace again undid the Newry full back but the Crewe appeals were turned away and it was 2-0 to the Glenavy side at half time.

From re-start of the second period Newry looked like a different side and Crewe could not retain possession of the ball. After 50 minutes Sean McMullan picked the ball up on the edge of the Crewe box which took a deflected as it found its way into the back of the Crewe net.

Newry drew level on the hour mark when Newry broke down the Crewe left before a low cross along found Carville who turned the ball into the Crewe goal from close range to make it all square.

Crewe briefly looked as if they may come back into the game as Mark McCullough broke down the right hand side and was through on goal, however, the Newry Keeper turned his shot around the post for a corner from what was a tight angle for the Crewe forward.

The tie was won with a superb finish from Newry winger Johnston as he hit a swerving shot from 30 yards out which curled past Wilson in the Crewe goal. Newry could have added a 4th in the dying minutes but their penalty was blazed over the bar after a foul by Conor McCarthy.

Crewe will be disappointed with the second half display but Newry showed their quality in the second period to fight back and progress to the next round.