Man assaulted on the Mullaghglass Road

editorial image

A man has been seriously assaulted in an incident that occured on the Mullaghglass Road, Lisburn, following a road crash this week.

The 32-year-old victim was taken to hospital following the attack.

Two men and a woman who were arrested in connection with the attack on the man were released earlier this week by police.

Police say that they are still investigating the circumstances into the incident which took place in the early hours of Monday morning.

The police are currently appealing for witnesses who were in the area at the time.

Police believe that it may have a possible link with a collision involving a grey Volkswagen Polo car and a black Volkswagen Passat car on the Shaw’s Road prior to that.

The 32-year-old was taken to hospital and treated for serious injuries as a result of the assault.

Detective Sergeant John McKendry appealed to the public for help.

“I would appeal to anyone who was in the Shaw’s Road area around 1.30 am on Monday 15 December, or in the Mullaghglass Road area of Lisburn just before 2am and witnessed either the accident or the assault to contact Detectives at Lisburn on the non emergency number 101.

“Alternatively information can also be given anonymously through the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111,” he said.

A 53-year-old man who was arrested on Monday, was later released on police bail pending further investigation.

The 47-year-old man and a 46 year-old woman who were released unconditionally.

Local MP Jeffrey Donaldson said: “I am very concerned about this serious assault and while we don’t know the full circumstances of the attack it seems that some people seem to be taking the law into their own hands.

“That is just not acceptable.

“Whatever the reasons behind this attack it is totally unjustified.”

He urged anyone who can help the police with their investigation, to contact them and also hoped that the man who was seriously injured made a full and speedy recovery.

Local MLA Jonathan Craig described the attack as ‘unbelievable’ and spoke of his concern.

“Whoever carried out this attack they need to respect the law and if there is an issue you need to let the police deal with it.

“This sort of vigilante type of behaviour should not be tolerated.”