Greenville College Choir comes to Mount Zion

editorial image
0
Have your say

The Greenville College Choir from Greenville, Illinois in the United States, will perform at 7.30pm on Wednesday, May 27 at Mount Zion Community Church, Gregg Street, Lisburn.

During the current 88th Anniversary year, the Greenville College Choir will perform at various locations around the country during their 12-day tour of Ireland.

The Choir’s tour program includes music from England, Ireland, and America.

In the past several years the Greenville College Choir has been invited to perform with several professional music ensembles (such as the Kingsbury Ensemble, one of the Midwest’s premier early music ensembles), and appeared at professional gatherings like the Illinois Music Educators Conference and the American Choral Directors Association’s Central Division Convention.

The Choir regularly joins with the Greenville Choral Union for concerts of larger choral-orchestral works such as Bach’s Magnificat, Mozart’s Requiem, and the annual Christmas performance of Handel’s Messiah.

The Greenville Choir consists of 40 undergraduate students from various fields of liberal arts study, including the College’s five music degree programs.

As the flagship choral ensemble of Greenville College, the Choir presents as many as twenty off-campus performances each year as part of its annual tour. Students’ dedication to the program is consistently made evident by the professional quality of their performances.

Conductor Jeffrey S. Wilson received his Bachelor of Music degree in piano from Augustana College (Rock Island, Illinois). He earned the Master of Music degree in choral music and the Doctor of Musical Arts degree in choral conducting and literature from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Dr. Wilson has served as conductor of the Choir since 1996.

Greenville College is a four-year accredited Christian liberal arts school with more than 1,200 traditional undergraduate, graduate, and adult degree completion students. Founded in 1892 and affiliated with the Free Methodist Church, the college is located in south central Illinois just 45 miles east of St. Louis Missouri.