Tumble dryer on fire at house

A tumble dryer went on fire in the ground floor kitchen of a house at Avonmore Park on Sunday, December 22.

Smoke alarms operated in the terrace house after the dryer went on fire.

Firefighters used a hosereel jet and a covering jet to deal with the incident.

Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) is urging people to put fire safety first during the festive period.


Over the Christmas period last year (December 20, 2012 – January 6, 2013) Fire Crews responded to 1,096 emergency incidents right across Northern Ireland.

Tragically, a man lost his life in one of the 54 accidental house fires that Firefighters attended while 23 people were injured and 10 people were rescued.

Firefighters also attended 37 road traffic collisions rescuing 28 people with 68 people being injured.