Two police officers were treated for smoke inhalation following a fire at a block of flats in Old Warren on Monday evening.
The police assisted people to safety and evacuated homes after the discovery of a fire at the property in Drumbeg Drive at around at 11.30pm.
Local resident Cathy Ann Farr, who moved into a nearby ground floor apartment three weeks ago with her seven month old son William, said that she was first made aware of the incident when police knocked at her door.
She said that she had earlier heard loud music from a block of flats and glass bottles had been thrown into her garden and she was fearful something might happen.
“Goodness knows what would have happened if my baby and I had been asleep.” she said. “Luckily I was awake and I have not slept well since, just thinking about what might have happened to us.
“If someone had not seen the fire it could have spread to my flat and we could have been trapped,
“I had heard awful banging at the door and when I opened it the police told us we had to leave. I just grabbed my baby and left. I was only out for an hour.
“I have spent £1,500 on doing up this flat. I would be fearful about staying here. I would not like a repeat of this. I fear that there will be more fires. I would not be confident staying here.
“When I was allowed back in the police assured me that they would be there for a while. I kept going to my window to checking that they were there.”
A 15-year-old was appeared in Craigavon Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday charged with a number of offences. These included Arson Endangering life with intent and burglary with intent to cause unlawful damage.
Alliance Lisburn South Councillor Stephen Martin said that he was deeply worried about what happened at the flats.
“It is deeply concerning that a young person has been charged in relation to suspected arson at Drumbeg Drive in Old Warren on Monday evening,” he said.
“I wish everyone adversely affected a speedy recovery.
“I want to pay particular tribute to the two PSNI officers who spotted smoke coming from the property and whose quick actions helped those inside potentially averting a much more serious incident.
“The two officers ended up having to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation after the event. It’s important to stop and thank them for making the crucial difference.”