DCSIMG

Translink apologises to stranded pupils

Road works

Road works

Translink has apologised to the parents of schoolchildren who were stranded in Annahilt on Tuesday morning.

Jonathan Craig MLA, said that he had been contacted by some parents who claimed their children were left on the roadside when three Ulsterbuses failed to stop to pick them up.

Mr Craig contacted Translink, who he said had since assured him that the alternative bus arrangements on the Magheraconluce Road were due to the on-going resurfacing of the road which has now been put in place.

A temporary bus route is expected to work in both directions for the next four weeks while resurfacing work is carried out between Town Burn and Annahilt. Translink buses will now be diverted up to the Drumlough Road where they will proceed until the Hillsborough Road and back to Annahilt crossroads.

“On Tuesday morning children were left bewildered and shocked when three buses drove by without stopping, leaving parents trying to find alternative means of transport so their child could attend their school,” said Mr Craig. 

“Having spoken directly with the local Manager, he has assured me that the initial setback in these arrangements on the first day of operation where children were left stranded, would not happen again.

“I would like to thank the Translink Manager for his prompt response.”

Mr Craig concluded, “I would appeal for people to be patient while this much needed work is being carried out.“

A spokesperson for Translink said, “On Tuesday, a number of Ulsterbus drivers failed to follow a diversionary route which resulted in some pupils not being picked up on the Drumlough Road. This was partly due to the planned closure to the Magheraconluce Road not having occurred, and the drivers assuming that the work had been postponed.

“We would apologise to these pupils for any inconvenience caused and reassure them of the continuation of bus services on the diverted route during these works, which will be monitored.”

A DRD spokesperson said; “A resurfacing scheme which will improve the surface of the carriageway of the Magheraconcluse Road is due for completion on 3 February 2014.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page