Lissue Children’s Unit is to be investigated by the Historical Institutional Abuse Inquiry.
Last month it was revealed that of the 355 individuals who have applied to speak to the inquiry so far, 57 are from Australia.
The inquiry is examining the extent of child abuse in the Catholic church and state-run institutions in Northern Ireland.
It is due to report to the Northern Ireland Executive in 2016.
Some institutions will no longer be investigated because of various reasons, including a lack of evidence.
However, that decision will be reviewed. The inquiry said it reserves the right to re-open investigations into those institutions if more evidence is brought forward. In addition, the inquiry is looking at the possibility of adding other institutions.
The closing date for anyone who wants to make an application to it is Friday November 29.
The inquiry, which is chaired by retired judge Sir Anthony Hart, held its third public hearing in Belfast on Wednesday.
In 2011 the Star covered the story of a local man who claimed he was abused at Lissue House and had spoken out about his years in care.
Lisburn man David Simpson, was taken into care at the age of 7 after his parents separated. He was sent to Lissue House where he says he was badly beaten and humiliated on a daily basis.
In 1993, after leaving the care system, David reported the abuse to the police but, he says, nothing was ever done about it.
“When I told staff at Lissue that I would report them to the police, they laughed in my face and told me no-one would believe me,” said David.
“What I have written down is nothing compared to what I had to go through on a daily basis. It wasn’t just me.”
In a statement made to the police in 1993 David told of the treatment he received at the Lisburn hospital, including being locked in his room, stripped naked, beaten on a daily basis and being dragged by the hair down the corridors.
After being caught in the kitchen one night, David recalls: “Before I got out of the kitchen door, a member of staff burst through the door and grabbed me by the hair. He dragged me out of the kitchen on my back. I was screaming and shouting. He dragged me along three corridors, through doors where my legs caught. I was in pyjamas and bare feet. He dragged me up two flights of stairs on my back and threw me into my room.”
On another occasion David remembers having water thrown over him after he tried to barricade himself in his room. “I was pinned down to the floor and stripped naked,” he explained. “I was held down on my stomach and given an injection. I was put onto the bed and passed out.”
Speaking at the time, Health Minister, Edwin Poots, said, ““Let me assure the Assembly that this issue has never stopped being the focus of attention in my Department, in the Health and Social Care system, and, I believe, in the PSNI.
“I am determined that within my Department it is clear that this behaviour was and remains unacceptable and all historical abuse complaints will be dealt with seriously.
“I want to know what happened.
“I will demand answers about who was involved so that we can ensure that this type of behaviour is identified quickly and addressed urgently.”