DCSIMG

Council helps stage electrical safety event

Southern Group Environmental Health Committee Event in Lough Neagh Discovery Centre, Lurgan

Southern Group Environmental Health Committee Event in Lough Neagh Discovery Centre, Lurgan

An electrical safety event was held recently by the Southern Group Environmental Health Committee.

Councillor Joy Rollston, Chair of the group, welcomed delegates to the Lough Neagh Discovery Centre.

The event, which focused on the dangers of second-hand electrical goods, was organised in conjunction with the Environmental Health Department of Banbridge District Council.

The event attracted those with an interest in rented properties - landlords and letting agents who rent out accommodation and supply second-hand electrical goods, also tenants living in rented accommodation who may have been supplied with second-hand electrical goods.

The PHA (Public Health Agency), RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) and SHSCT (Southern Health & Social Care Trust) were represented.

Also in attendance were organisations who work with ethnic minority groups alongside Council representation from across the Southern Group area, and other interested individuals and organisations.

Councillor Rollston advised delegates, “Second-hand goods have become more and more common as people deal with restraints on their finances and pick up what they consider to be a bargain at a car boot sale, local charity shop, auction website or other outlet.

Mark Flynn, part-time Home Safety Officer and NI Fire and Rescue Officer supported this, stating “In 2013, 9 people died in NI as a result of an accidental fire in the home.

Approximately 9 out of 10 electrical fires are caused by electrical products and mainly through their misuse. 14% of house fires are caused by faulty washing machines.He stressed the importance of never leaving a washing machine or tumble dryer on when the house is unoccupied or when everyone has gone to bed.”

Overloaded adaptors and extension leads, can easily overload a circuit and cause a fire.

For more information ring Heather Spratt on 028 3751 5800 or email h.spratt@sgehc.com

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page