Grandfather’s fury over dog fouling

Dog fouling warnings.
Dog fouling warnings.

A POND Park resident is crying foul over dog mess in the area, which he claims is putting children’s health at risk.

Colin Henderson of Pond Park Aveune, who regularly walks his grandson to Pond Park Nursery, said: “It is almost impossible to avoid standing on the mess or getting it on the wheels of a buggy. Last week I counted 20 different loads on the short walk to school. This cannot be tolerated.

“I wish dog owners in the area would show the same consideration for the local children as they do for their dogs. There can be no excuse for leaving the mess on the footpath. These dark mornings and evenings mean that irresponsible owners cannot be easily seen. I appreciate that there are dog owners who do clean up after their dog and we are all grateful for this. Perhaps they could assist in educating those who do not.”

Colin highlighted some facts about the danger of dog mess. He said: “Nearly two decades ago, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified pet waste as a dangerous pollutant in the same category as toxic chemicals and oil.”
He continued: “Pet waste is teaming with E. Coli and other harmful bacteria including faecal coliform bacteria, which causes serious kidney disorders, intestinal illness, cramps and diarrhoea in humans. (There are 23 million faecal coliform bacteria in a single gram of pet waste). 
“Dog mess often contains roundworm larvae, which cause blindness. If a human ingests a roundworm larva, it can migrate through the body causing disease to the brain, lungs, kidneys, liver, heart or eyes. So when people especially children touch soil, dog toys or anything that has been in contact with dog faeces and then touch their mouths, they can become infected,” Colin explained.