Council tackles gas poisoning

editorial image

Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council, in partnership with the Health and Safety Executive Northern Ireland (HSENI) and local businesses, is encouraging caravan and campervan owners to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Often known as the silent killer, carbon monoxide cannot be smelt or seen and victims are often unconscious before it is realised what has happened.

While carbon monoxide is usually associated with domestic fossil fuel-burning appliances, incidents and deaths can also happen in caravans, campervans and on board boats. Faulty gas cookers, appliances or petrol-powered generators have led to carbon monoxide poisoning.

A number of Beko, Belling, Flavel, Leisure and New World gas cookers are subject to safety bulletins and require modifications to enable them to operate safely.

Information on the gas cookers has been circulated to caravan suppliers and caravan parks in the local area. Residents, landlords and letting agents are also strongly advised to check if their cooker is affected. A list of affected appliances can be found on Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council’s website www.lisburncastlereagh.gov.uk/resident/environmental-health/consumer-protection/gas-cookers

Welcoming the ongoing drive to raise CO awareness, Chair of the Environmental Committee, Councillor Brian Hanvey said: “The Council works closely with the Health & Safety Executive to ensure that all relevant information is available to its ratepayers.

“I would urge everyone to heed the advice being offered to help reduce the dangers of CO in caravans and campervans. Take action and make sure you have a CO alarm fitted and check it is working properly.

As an added safety measure, it is advisable to install an audible CO alarm in your caravan, campervan, home, holiday home or boat - these are widely available in supermarkets and DIY stores.

“Please take the precautionary measures now to ensure you and your family have a fun safe summer.”

To find out more about the dangers of Carbon Monoxide, please contact the HSENI helpline on 0800 0320 121 or visit www.hseni.gov.uk/watchout