THE New Year means millions will make resolutions to get in shape and lose weight to find a New You.
Unfortunately, approximately a third of those people will have trouble sticking to their goals. Fit4less in Lisburn give their top tips to sticking it out:
1. Have realistic expectations - Don’t try to get back to the size you were in school. You’ll only set yourself up for disappointment.
2. Make it personal - Pick an activity that you enjoy doing or exercise will seem like a chore. If you hate running, don’t torture yourself by trying to do it every day.
3. Start with simple goals and make the workout harder as you get stronger and more fit. An intermediate goal might be to walk 20 minutes three or four times a week. A long-term goal might be to complete a 5K walk.
4. Use the buddy system. If you have a workout partner depending on you, you’re less likely to skip exercising.
5. Don’t be too hard on yourself - If you do fall off the wagon, don’t feel too bad. Even prolific exercisers have bad weeks. Just make sure you get back at it eventually.
Fit4less Lisburn will as part of your membership design a programme tailored to your needs and goals, and this will be revised on a six week basis, making sure you’re on the right track.