Dromara playground remains closed after accident

A DROMARA playground remains closed after a seven-year-old boy was taken to hospital following an accident at the weekend involving a ‘wobble log’.

On Saturday, two children aged 10 and 7 were playing with the ‘wobble log’ when the log became detached from both end plates injuring the younger child.

The child was taken to hospital by ambulance and he was in intensive care and later moved onto a ward.

The council were informed when the police were contacted by a resident.

The Health and Safety Executive attended the site and are investigating the circumstances.

The entire playground was closed off with barriers.

One line of investigation is that the equipment may have been tampered with and the bolts were taken from the equipment and local councillors have called for a full inquiry into the incident.

Councillor Uel Mackin said that the incident occurred just days before work was to start to refurbish the playground and expressed his concern that such an incident could happen.

“I just hope that the child involved makes a full recovery,” he said.

The Health and Safety Executive said: “HSENI has attended the scene and the incident is currently being investigated.”

Councillor Allan Ewart said, “I was appalled to hear of the horrific accident.

“The sinister thing about the incident is that someone took bolts from the equipment knowing a child would be playing on it later.

“My thoughts and prayers are with the child seriously injured and his family. If anyone has any information about what happened I urge them to report it to the police. I trust the culprits are apprehended and get their just punishment. Hopefully the injured boy will soon be back to full health.”

A spokesperson for Lisburn City Council said, “The Council can confirm that an accident occurred at Dromara Playground on Saturday, February 2, involving a child.

“The accident is subject to an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive.

“Following the accident the Playground was barriered off and it remains closed to the public.”

They went onto say, “The Council’s immediate concern is for the child involved in the accident.”